Friday, August 17, 2012

Wayne Brady Takes Responsibility for the Joke

I am grateful that comedian Wayne Brady has now taken responsibility for the cruel down syndrome joke referencing Trip Palin. Here is the text of his letter from his Facebook page.

This letter has taken me a few days to compose because of the conflicting emotions that I've experienced since the day of the Roast and it's subsequent airing. The environment of the Roast is a comedic (hopefully), tasteless (mostly always), affair that encourages everyone to out-filth each other. Not normally what I'm known for, right? But, when I was invited, I jumped at the chance to play outside of my perceived "norm" and have fun. The Jeff joke was written for me and at the end of the day I take full responsibility for saying it. It wasn't meant as a slam to Trig and at the time I didn't see it that way.

I could defend it as a performer, but I would rather apologize from the bottom of my heart as a father. I understand how a parent, who loves their child, who tries to nurture and shield them when they cannot defend themselves, would take offense.. I have many times experienced this feeling. I've had awful things said about my daughter.. Violent and most times racial stabs. Being in the spotlight I have built a thick skin to these sorts of things. My daughter ( who's now old enough to understand ) is another story. That being said I write this letter with sensitivity and a strong stance of responsibility for my actions.

I thank everyone who's expressed their opinion for reminding me that my voice is heard... It's easy to forget sometimes in front of cameras and lights.

To the Palins, please know that no malice or harm was meant. To the other families who were touched negatively, I hope you'll be able to accept this apology as well.

I've always said that people in the public eye should be held responsible for what you say and I'm no hypocrite. Thanks for reading and letting me express my side.

Take care all,
Wayne



I am glad his role as a father made him realize that he had to take responsibility for his actions. I truly hope that Mr. Brady finds that his best success as a performer comes on programs that are clean and wholesome, not raunchy and in the gutter.

It reminds me of the story Mel Brooks once told about John Wayne. Mr. Brooks, after he wrote the script for Blazing Saddles, convinced John Wayne to read the script because he wanted the part of Taggard, played by Slim Pickens, to originally go to John Wayne. John Wayne declined, admitting the script was funny, but that he just could not play the part because it was "too dirty" and did not fit with his wholesome screen image. That is certainly something to be respected. I certainly have to say I love old John Wayne movies, and knowing he had this kind of wisdom makes me love his memory even more!

Therefore, I hope Wayne Brady decides that future career choices avoid the raunchier side of comedy in favor of the kind of comedy people originally came to love him doing like his performances on Whose Line Is It Anyway.

Again, thank you Mr. Brady for your apology. 

Gregory A. Yankey
A Proud Father of a Beautiful Little Girl
and Two Handsome Boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment